Here is a quick rundown of some of the new Bluemix Capabilities targeted at the Developer Experience that we are demonstrating at Interconnect 2015 this week.
||Bluemix DevOps Service Video link – Youtube video
- Bluemix Live Sync – Develop in the Cloud. Enables you to almost instantly see your code changes running in the cloud immediately with Bluemix.
- Unified Dev Ops Services with Bluemix – DevOps is now part of Bluemix experience.
- Develop and Deploy Anywhere ( Pipeline support for containers. )
- Deploy to Bluemx – Enables any Git Repository to be deployed to Bluemix.
- NodeJS Debugger – Enables you to debug running NodeJS apps including setting breakpoints and debugging parameters.
- Java Debugger – Debug Java applications running with a Liberty Runtime on Bluemix.
- Deploy to Bluemix Button – Enables you share and allow others to quickly deploy your apps that are in a Git hosted repository to Bluemix.
If you missed my presentation at Interconnect 2015 on the What’s New With the IBM Bluemix Developer Experience you can download the slides here.
Excited to see the team deliver new iOS 8 Mobile capabilities on Bluemix. Here is the link
Here is the Sample Bluelist App to help you get started. Get the code and follow the directions in the readme.
Here is a video tutorial that I did that shows you how to create a HelloWorld app using the new Mobile capabilities delivered in Bluemix.
Try it out on Bluemix.net Let me know what you think. Want to hear your feedback.
The Bluemix Team has been making improvements to allow developers to develop using the languages they want. Some exciting announcements for new language support (Python, Go and PHP). The team has also made it easier to create new apps for Web and Mobile. Learn more here in this blog announcement.
I recently was asked how to use GitHub with Bluemix. This 5 minute video shows how you can clone your code from your Bluemix Git Repo to a local Git Repo on your client machine and then push it to a remote GitHub Repo. All you have to do is click on “add Git” on your app in Bluemix and then follow the instructions in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpAiJF2cpEA&list=UUImU_sCWThipWZTcQAeR4yw When you “add Git” Bluemix clones your code into a DevOps Git Repo. You can simply use that Git URL to clone that remote Git repository.
I was happy to have been asked to present at the Bluemix Developers In Cambridge Meetup in July. Here is the presentation that I shared on my experiences using Bluemix with Python. It included moving a Python Django application from Heroku to Bluemix.
As part of the workshop I covered how to:
• Determine the right delivery solution (Paas, IaaS, SaaS) for your business problem.
• Choose a programming stack and PaaS provider.
• Move your app on to Bluemix
• Collaborate and continuously deliver with DevOps Services
It was an interactive event with lots of great questions. There is another Bluemix Meetup scheduled for Wed September 17, 2014 in Cambridge at the IBM Innovation Center, 1 Rogers Street Cambridge MA. Hope to see you there.
Many platform as a service providers only offer a runtime environment for deploying cloud based applications. This requires you to find a separate vendor for your development time tooling. IBM Bluemix offers a collaborative development tooling environment to support Bluemix. IBM DevOps Services allows you to more quickly and seamlessly develop, build, track, plan and deploy your apps to Bluemix. Here are the capabilities it offers.
- Software configuration management (SCM) – ̶Store and manage the code for your applications in the hosted Git repository or Jazz source control
- Integrated development environment – Use built-in Web IDE (Orion), Eclipse, Visual Studio, Rational Team Concert – or leverage your tool of choice
- Agile planning & tracking, team collaboration – Seamlessly adopt Agile practices. Easily share work and collaborate with team members with task boards and Dashboards
- Continuous Delivery Pipeline – Build automation and automated deployment to Bluemix
It supports both Git and Jazz SCM. If your like me using Eclipse to develop your cloud based applications simply install Jazz SCM Rational Team Concert Client plugin into your existing Eclipse. You can then create a project on DevOps services and begin collaborating with the other developers on your team. To help you get started I just published this tutorial on YouTube.com
I challenged my 15 year old son to create something before the end of the summer. You may be asking yourself why? The first reason is that he needs to learn the value of earning money and paying for a new skateboard to replace the one he broke . The second reason is that I want him to begin learning how to be innovative. I want him to create a new business idea and try it out. I firmly believe he will need these skills in the “IEconomy”. The next economic era that won’t be based on low cost labor that copies products and makes them cheaper but rather on the:
- Individual who is empowered with free technology to start up a business. Including access to open source runtimes and tools, free hosting and Platform as Service environments to get their new business started. Access to the education to learn these new technologies for free in University classes offered for programming languages like Python from Google and Computer Science 101 from MIT OpenCourseWare. Has access to startup expertise and capital on IBM Global Entrepreneur and Kickstarter.com
- Internet that enables platform as a service. Enables the social connection between clients, partner channels and employees. Enables a whole new market category of products based on the internet of things. Is the delivery channel for products.
- Innovation driven by collaborating on ideas with people who have similar interests. that they can easily find at meetups, conferences and other events. By applying design thinking techniques to generate new business ideas. By developing product experiences that delight the user by analyzing the entire user experience rather than just the product. “Wanting, making or buying and then drinking a latte” versus “A coffee maker”
Bluemix is one of the key internet enabling technologies. Bluemix is the platform of service that will allow the individual to innovate and build the new products that will drive the IEconomy. It provides the commercial and open source services and application stacks that many new products are being built with. It enables you to get started and learn the technology for free. It enables you get to market quicker with business ideas and to scale if you hit it big without worrying about the IT infrastructure to power it.
I will be at the Boston Tech Jam Thursday June 12, 2014 to evangelize Bluemix and how it can help you with the IEconomy. I invite you to attend and join me to learn more about Bluemix. If you are starting up a business come and network with others who might want to join your cause. If you are interested in music enjoy the bands that are playing at the party event.
I think my son will utilize all three of these I’s this summer. Hopefully he will learn to be able to take an idea and make it a business reality. By the end of the summer, he will earn some money if it is a success. If he fails he will hopefully learn from it so that he has a greater chance of success in his future attempts in the IEconomy.